Since I recently finished writing my first ever children’s book that involved a dragon(Thundar the Mighty), and since everyone and their grandmother loves dragons, I thought it was time for a new top ten list.
Top Ten Children’s Books with Dragons
1. Dragonology – The “ology” series, published by Templar Publishing in the United Kingdom and Candlewick Press in the United States, is a brilliant series of fictional books for kids, written in encyclopedic form. Dragonology was the first in this series, and in my opinion, the best.
2. The Inheritance Cycle(Eragon) - By Christopher Paolini. What do you get when you combine a teenage farm boy, an ancient sword, an empire on the brink and a loyal dragon? Read it and find out!
3. Dragonbreath Series – Dragonbreath, by Ursula Vernon, is one of the most unique and humorous dragon related kids books/series you’ll find.
4. The Last Dragon – By Jane Yolen is a graphic novel about the fearsome, man-eating, last dragon on the planet. Beautifully illustrated, and boasts a rare, powerful female character.
5. The Paper Bag Princess – By Robert Munsch. A story about a not-so-princessly princess who saves a not-so-nice prince from his dragon captor.
6. The How to Train Your Dragon Series – By Cressida Cowell. I would say this title speaks for itself, thanks to the popular cartoon. If you haven’t read any of this series, you should do so…now. Go now. Wait, finish this list, then go.
7. Puff, the Magic Dragon – By Peter Yarrow and Lenny Lipton was originally written as a fairy-tale type of song, which gained immense fame and popularity. It was eventually adapted into a very well reviewed children’s book.
8. Dragons Love Tacos – By Adam Rubin. If you enjoyed Those Darn Squirrels! then you will definitely enjoy this one. Highly recommended.
9. Fablehaven Series – is an amazing fantasy series for kids written by Brandon Mull. This is one of those series that you MUST read, whether you’re young or just young at heart. For lovers of fantasy, mythology and epic adventure stories, you can’t go wrong with this. The stories are not centered around dragons, otherwise this would be higher on the list.
10. When a Dragon Moves In – By Jodi Moore. “If you build a perfect sandcastle, a dragon will move in.” A cute and imaginative book for kids about a boy who builds a great sandcastle and is surprised when a dragon moves in.